Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration madness


*Out with the old, in with the new*

Election Day and Inauguration were field days for the media this election season. So in order to not repeat what you've already seen a hundred times, Obama's speech, or who wrote it, and so forth, I thought I'd share some inaugural stories from a young journalist.

Today I experienced the horror of any journalist, technical difficulties. I covered two events at two different schools with no photographer and because I have a camera-- I'm obviously being facetious-- I was supposed to take my own photos. That I did, until the end of the second event when my camera flashed the dreaded red screen reading "card error, to reformat card, press OK." DO NOT PRESS OK.

I know better because it erases the pictures, the only problem is getting the pictures requires data recovery and all other sorts of things a daily newspaper doesn't have time for. So plan B and C were set into motion and I managed to get photos from parents, teachers etc., but I'm sad that the little kids holding "hope" and "dream" posters, and the young woman crying while holding an American flag listening to Obama's speech are trapped hostage in my camera. It's beyond frustrating.

My other point of madness occurred when a Jersey City cop gave me a ride from one school to the other and the proceeded to ask me out. Are you serious? Wait, hold on, again, are you serious?

That all being said, I'm happy I spent the inauguration at a high school where today meant so much to so many.

*Pictures pulled from the Huffington Post

No comments: