Sunday, March 15, 2009

Random stories that enter my life and or entertain me

So I realize I've failed in my upkeep of this blog, but I'm determined to keep it going. To get back on track, I will comment on recent stories of interest...


1. Unemployment and Recession

Well, I'm feeling the pain with the rest of America. The other day I attended a Career Fair with my friend. We drove an hour to get there and it was too packed to listen to any of the speakers. Instead we formed a line to enter the conference room with hundreds of other people. After standing in a dark crowded hall for over an hour, we were finally all poured into the auditorium where there were only about eight companies. What positions were they offering? Sales. Making a sale in a recession borders impossible and when a sales position offers pay based on commission—well, that makes a sales job the most pointless job to seek out, especially when you have no training or skills in the field.

* Image from a Career Fair in Detroit

Also, about a month ago the newspaper I work out passed out WARN notices to all of its employees. It was such a sureal feeling. One of those things you read or hear about but never think you'll experience. "Like others we are suffering too...," It's never a good thing when a newsroom falls completely silent...

2. Social networking

I've recently joined Twitter and am still attempting to figure out the site, but it seems intriguing. Certain jobs ask that you have an active social networking life on Facebook and Twitter... so I'm trying. It's a good platform to share short ideas or links to Web sites I suppose.

3. Random

I think this AP Sesame Street interview is incredibly entertaining. "How did you lose control of this interview?"



Also, it seems as though the fat cat from this summer ended up in a happy home.

*AP Photo

*Career Fair Picture pulled from here

No comments: